While some natural ingredients can be irritating for sensitive skin, Bakuchiol can be used by pretty much anyone, and can be especially beneficial to those for which retinols aren't well suited.
One of the features we love the most about Bakuchiol is that it’s a gentler, natural and vegan alternative to retinol, that could even be suitable for use during pregnancy. (source)
“Safe for all skin types, plant-based antioxidant and antimicrobial bakuchiol has similar benefits to retinol without the irritation making it a pro-aging powerhouse for skin health.” Jillian Wright, Indie Beauty Expo founder.
Bakuchiol is well tolerated without the irritation, scaling, and dryness of retinols, so it's suitable for all skin types, and ideal for those with sensitive skin
In this paper published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, the researchers found that after 12 weeks of using a Bakuchiol, applied twice-a-day on the face, the subjects experienced a significant improvement in:
- lines and wrinkles,
- firmness, and
- overall reduction in photo-damage
without usual retinol therapy-associated undesirable effects.
“I think just about anyone would say yes please to an ingredient that can give you the same results as retinol without the irritation.” Annie Jackson, Credo founder (source)
Bakuchiol also provides anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties for those with oily or acne-prone skin. (source)
- Anti-Microbial: Researchers believe that Bakuchiol targets the bacteria that clogs pores and helps to cause acne breakouts. This property is so powerful that it's even been shown to work against streptococcus bacterium, the bacteria that cause strep throat, scarlet fever, and impetigo.
- Calms Redness: Acne is part of your body's inflammatory response to the dirt and bacteria that accumulates inside pores. The results include blemishes and reddened, sensitive skin. Bakuchiol helps to diminish the appearance of redness, bringing relief to affected areas of your complexion.
- Anti-Scarring: This is the advantage that sets Bakuchiol apart from other skin care compounds. It has been shown to help reduce the hyperpigmentation that often accompanies acne scars.
Unlike retinol, you can use Bakuchiol in the daytime as it remains active in direct sunlight (photo stability). However, it’s worth mentioning that while Bakuchiol may not necessarily cause the intense sun sensitivities caused by retinols and retinoids, and it can be applied in the morning, you should still use SPF daily and grab as much shade as possible.
Clean up Your Skincare Routine with These Gentler Retinol Alternatives
Raw Nurture PM Treatment
An antioxidant and nutrient-rich night blend that hydrates, exfoliates and stimulates collagen production. Repairs, restores and conditions to make skin stronger and more fit. Learn More.
- Sun Damage
- Uneven Skin Tone
- Thinning Skin
- Bakuchiol (Retinol substitute)
- Bearberry Leaf Extract
- Olive Leaf Extract
Reverse Longitude PM Serum-Shot
An antioxidant-infused hit of Retinal that helps to reduce the appearance of hyper-pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles. Learn More.
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles
- Reduced Elasticity
- Skin Roughness
- Red Blotchiness
- Retinal (Retinaldehyde)
* limited time offer