In our aim to develop skincare that is good for you and the planet, we carefully research and curate every single ingredient that goes into our clean formulas, balancing both the safety and effectiveness of each.
When we first came across Bakuchiol, we were blown away by the impressive results that this plant-based antioxidant had already shown in scientific studies, in particular around its anti-aging and anti-microbial properties.
Derived from the babchi plant, Bakuchiol has been used in Chinese and Indian restorative medicine for years, although it hadn’t really gained popularity until recently due in part to lack of research.
One of the features we love the most about Bakuchiol is that it’s a gentler, natural and vegan alternative to retinol, that could even be suitable for use during pregnancy. (source)
How's Bakuchiol Different to Traditional Retinoids?
Retinol products are derivatives of vitamin A. While retinoids cover a broader category of chemicals and products; retinol is a more specific kind of vitamin A, and the one most often seen in over-the-counter products.
Both the upper and lower layers of skin need vitamin A. This essential micronutrient is vital for many physiological processes like maintaining the integrity and function of our skin. Without enough vitamin A, your skin might get dry, itchy or bumpy, and in the more severe cases lead to Vitamin A disorders that result in risk of severe infection.
Benefits of Vitamin A for Skin's Functioning and Long Term Health
Here are some of the ways in which Vitamin A supports our skin's functioning and long term health:
- Vitamin A supports the daily replacement of skin cells and ensures that tissues such as the conjunctiva are able to produce mucous and provide a barrier to infection. (source)
- It prevents sun damage by interrupting the process that breaks down collagen.
- Due to its antioxidant properties, it offers some protection against sunburn.
- It supports the oil glands around your hair follicles and helps cuts and scrapes heal. (source)
Using a Plant-Based Vitamin A form to Support Cellular Turnover
Bakuchiol is a plant-based form of Vitamin A. Although it has no structural resemblance to retinoids, it has been shown to function like retinol by targeting similar cellular pathways. This means that it binds to retinoid receptors in the body, which kickstart the production of key proteins in the skin, and help increase cell turnover, build collagen, improve discoloration, hydrate skin, and reduce acne. (source)
This makes Bakuchiol ideal for targeting skin concerns like reducing fine lines and wrinkles, boosting elasticity and collagen production, evening out skin tone and texture, and reducing hyperpigmentation.
But the long list of Bakuchiol benefits for skin doesn't stop at anti-aging. Here are a few more:
- Sooth Skin: Bakuchiol has a long history in Chinese and Indian medicine for healing cuts, soothing rashes and calming redness. (source)
- Relieve Acne: Bakuchiol is also used in treating acne due to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-scarring properties. Learn more in this article.
- Fight Cancer: In this study, scientists concluded that bakuchiol behaves in the same way as resveratrol – the antioxidant that typically is found in grapes – having a positive effect on cancer tumors. (source)
Unlike retinol, you can use Bakuchiol in the daytime as it remains active in direct sunlight (photo stability), and it is well tolerated by the skin - it comes with no irritation, scaling, or dryness that is often associated with the use of retinol.
This makes Bakuchiol suitable for all skin types, and especially helpful if you have sensitive skin. We dive into this topic in this article.
Clean up Your Routine with this Plant-Powered Retinol Alternative
Raw Nurture PM Treatment
An antioxidant and nutrient-rich night blend that hydrates, exfoliates and stimulates collagen production. Repairs, restores and conditions to make skin stronger and more fit. Learn More.
- Sun Damage
- Uneven Skin Tone
- Thinning Skin
- Bakuchiol (Retinol substitute)
- Bearberry Leaf Extract
- Olive Leaf Extract
Reverse Longitude PM Serum-Shot
An antioxidant-infused hit of Retinal that helps to reduce the appearance of hyper-pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles. Learn More.
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles
- Reduced Elasticity
- Skin Roughness
- Red Blotchiness
- Retinal (Retinaldehyde)
* limited time offer